some of the ways on how to say no to sexual immorality
Anyways, I’m not writing for those who do not understand that sex before marriage is a sin. I’m writing for those who not only understand, but are also pressing towards the mark of living in total obedience to God.
The world is getting darker. Everybody is doing it. But we are to stand out and shine as the light that we are.
I have decided not to quote so many scriptures in this article (the last person I spoke with said quoting scriptures didn’t help), so I want to be as practical as I can.
1. Recognize it as a sin: The first step to avoiding sin is to recognize it. See it as sin, spell it out and call it by its name, f-o-r-n-i-c-a-t-i-o-n. Donatello sugarcoat it. Don’t funkify it. Spell it out and make a decision to overcome it. You cannot stop committing sin unless you have convinced yourself that it is wrong. To avoid fornication is not an individual thing, it is a commandment of God. (I promised not to quote scriptures. Ugh.)
2. Declare A War: To resist the temptation to commit fornication is actually a war. “War” is a powerful word, because lust is a powerful desire. God calls the struggle with sexual sins a “war.” The Bible says in 1 Peter 2:11, “Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.” This is a battle you must win. You are fighting for your glorious future and destiny. Wrestle for purity!
3. Keep Dating In Perspective: It’s harder to overcome the desire to sin when you are so attached to a person you are in a relationship with, the Bible actually commands you to get married. If you are not ready to marry that person, then you are just using the relationship to serve your own rebellious lusts and it should be ended if it cannot be kept holy (as in dating without fornication). Break up before they break you. Stay away from fornicators, whether they are Christians or not. Avoid them like a plague.
4. Stop pornography: Pornography is an instrument of evil. Cut off all sensual and sexual media out of your life: movies, comic books, novels, articles, blogs, jokes, TV shows, sensual poetry, and music. Stop fantasizing and daydreaming about having sex. It will drain you and draw you deeper into sin. Feed your mind with God’s Word instead.
5. Ask God For Help: When you find the temptations very challenging, call upon the name of Jesus Christ. Pray to God for help with that specific sin in your time of testing. You can be free from the bondage of sin. You can conquer lustful desires. You cannnot do it by your own effort tho, you need the help of the Holy Spirit. Ask Him.
6. Repent: If you’ve committed fornication, the Lord can heal and restore your soul without a fault. All He needs you to do is renounce all affiliations with those you’ve joined yourself to. Confess, and repent of the sin of lust and fornication, and you can be made clean and new through the blood of Jesus. Read How To Overcome The Guilt Of Fornication.
God is the Creator of life, love, marriage, and sex. He knows what’s best for you. He will give you the wonderful gift of marriage. Obeying His plan is always right and always blessed.